Recipe: Hearty & Creamy Almond Coconut Porridge
Almond, Coconut, Oats, & Quinoa, the elements of a perfect Winter comfort dish. As I write this, the east coast is getting slammed by Winter Storm Jonas. I was thinking on foods that evoke warmth, comfort, and coziness and immediately breakfast porridge came to mind. This recipe combines some of my favorite grains with the creaminess of our limited edition Thai Coconut Blend Almond Milk for a hearty dish that will keep you warm hours after your first spoonful. All ingredients are naturally 100% Vegan, dairy, soy, and gluten-free but delicious enough to please everyone. Enjoy! - Jake
- 2 cups of our Thai Coconut Blend Handcrafted Almond Milk
- 2 tablespoons of our Freshly Ground Almond Meal (Original)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 + 1/2 cups of rolled oats
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup water or coconut water (unsweetened)
- cinnamon and ginger to taste
- toasted coconut chips, fruit slices, honey, or rough chopped nuts for topping
Bring the Thai Coconut Blend Almond Milk to a soft boil in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa and salt and cook approximately 10-15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked. Add the water, oats, cinnamon, and salt and continue to cook just until the oats are softened. Remove the saucepan from the heat and gently stir in the fresh ground almond meal as the last cooking step.
Serve up the porridge topped with toasted coconut, fruit slices, etc. or just enjoy coco-nutty almond goodness on its own.
- Vegan / Vegetarian
- Coconut: nutrient dense & rich in Lauric Acid which as been found to increase high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or the "good" cholesterol, which promotes heart health along with decreasing cardiovascular risk.
- Raw & Unpasteurized Almonds: natural source of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, and Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) which helps the body feed oxygen to the heart, lungs, and brain. And since Origin Almond uses raw & unpasteurized almonds, more of the key vital nutrients and potent enzymes are kept intact.