The ancient secret to a healthy heart AND weight loss? Eat more FAT!
I admit it. I am guilty of having a love & hate relationship with fat. Why does it taste good but have such a terrible effect on your heart & waistline? The culprit is what kind of fats we’re putting into our bodies.
But how did fat get such a bad wrap in the first place? After World War II, research emerged that linked foods with saturated fats to coronary heart disease. In the 60s, the American Heart Association recommended that people should reduce their fat consumption. From then on, the guidelines advocated for Americans to think that all fat was bad. When the word “fat” or “fattening” is used as a verb in today’s society, it has a bad connotation. But as a noun, a diet high in fat is actually good for you! If you still don’t believe me, please read on.
The fact is: not all fats are created equal. Some types of fat are actually required for numerous functions in your body related to growth and reproduction.
The BAD Fats: Known as trans fat; created in an industrial process that adds hydrogen to liquid vegetable oils to make them more solid. Examples of Bad Fat sources: many baked goods, fried foods, non-dairy creamer and margarine.
The GOOD (or Healthy) Fats: Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats are known as the “good fats” because they are good for your heart, your cholesterol, and your overall health. These types of fats are primarily found in plant-based sources and usually NOT found in animal meats. Here are two benefits for consuming healthy fats:
1) Heart Health Benefits: Research also supports the importance of improving the fat quality of the diet by choosing better fats like monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in order to reduce heart disease. Healthier fats include monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. These fats help the cholesterol balance in your blood by decreasing the bad (LDL) cholesterol and increase the good (HDL) cholesterol.
2) Weight Loss & Weight Control: Eating a bigger proportion of your calories from fat can help you achieve your optimal body composition. Your body requires a decent amount of fat to stay lean. Fat is filling. When prepared with a nice dose of protein, fat leads to a better satisfaction from eating, and curbing hunger and cravings.
Here are 3 kinds of Healthy fats that should be part of your healthy diet:
1. Coconut is high in saturated fat, but more than half of that comes from lauric acid, a unique Medium-Chain Triglyceride (MCT) that battles bacteria, improves cholesterol scores, and increases the 24-hour energy expenditure in humans by as much as 5 percent.
2. Almonds have Monounsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFAs) that help lower your risk of heart disease. For example, MUFAs may lower your total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol levels but maintain your high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol level. A study from the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders found that when two groups of participants consumed the same amount of calories, the group which had more calories from almonds lost the most weight.
3. Avocado’s benefits are numerous. They’re rich in monounsaturated fats (heart healthy), packed with the benefits of vitamin E; help prevent free radical damage, boosts immunity, and acts as an anti-aging nutrient for your skin.
To summarize, avoid BAD Fats (Trans Fats) and consume more GOOD Fats (Monounsaturated fats and Polyunsaturated fats).
It might sound challenging to find a convenient and value-friendly source of GOOD fats that’s actually tasty. But there's good news, we made one delicious drink that has all these covered! Origin Almond’s Piña Colada Coconut Refresher Almond Juice includes two kinds of these healthy fats! Each bottle contains both Medium-Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) from Fresh Coconuts and Monounsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFAs) from USA Almonds! We combined these two rich sources of good fats with fresh pineapple and vanilla for the most delicious drink that tastes like a fresh-made Piña Colada!
...Oh and the best part? Each bottle offers 5g of plant protein with ZERO added sugar (only 3g of naturally occurring sugar, none added)! Treat yourself & your body to a bottle at one of our retail locations—use our store locator to find a store nearest to you. Now available at select Walmart stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, & DC!
Thank you for reading & be well! - Jake